Saturday, July 24, 2010

Chapter XXVI: My Top 5 Songs To Sing at Karaoke Nights

Okay, I'm going to admit to this. I'm a huge fan of karaoke nights, and of subsequent, the Rock Band video game franchise. Why? Because I LOVE to sing, and I'm one of those who'll go out, remain sober, have spent the drive over to wherever something's going on where I can get up and sing warming up my vocals, take the spotlight and upstage everyone. No, it's not because I have an ego (I do in some respects, but not when it comes to singing). I do it because I feel these songs that I love, and find to be just awesome, need to be done the right way, with the right pitch (or as damn-near close to it).

That's why I'm having fun with today's blog entry. I'm going to give you my five favorite songs to sing, but for this entry, it's going to be at karaoke nights, because my list is actually different when it comes to Rock Band because there's different songs available.

So, without any further delay, let's start the countdown with some commentary.

5. "Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)" - Train - Drops of Jupiter (2001)
This is just a fun rock song that always gets people going, and singing along during the ending. I always enjoy doing songs that'll get people going. Enjoy the song.



4. "Elegantly Wasted" - INXS - Elegantly Wasted (1997)
One of the last videos to feature original singer Michael Hutchance before his tragic passing. Oddly enough, this is the first song I ever sang karaoke to, and got a standing ovation from the crowd for it. I had to go and choose a song where you're holding long notes several times through the chorus. Still, a fun song that plays with held notes and pitches. A pure joy to sing. Sadly, the last couple of seconds are cut from this video, but still. Great song! Enjoy!



3. "Misunderstood" - Bon Jovi - Bounce (2002)
Bon Jovi has always been one of my favorite bands, and thankfully over the past 15 years, they don't go as high vocals as they did at the end of Livin' on a Prayer. Still, this is a fun song to sing, and one I always look for in a song book. The video for this song is oddly funny, and having read the story of the extended version, I kinda wish I could find that one. Oh well, here's the video everyone's probably seen.



2. "Slide" - Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up the Girl (1998)
Regardless of where I am, it always happens that I sing this song. While it's not my favorite song by the band, it always happens to end up in my little set list. Not much to really say about it. It's a great track from a great album (isn't it funny that while there are two lead vocalists in Goo Goo Dolls, only the songs sung by John Rzeznick get selected as singles?). Enjoy!



1. "Smooth" - Santana feat. Rob Thomas - Supernatural (1999)
Not only my favorite song to sing karaoke to, but it was also my favorite song to play in my high school jazz band. We'd get pretty crazy during the solo sections. Me on drums, my cousin on bass, two guitarists, several trumpet players, and anyone else who dared to do a solo. If I recall correctly (it's been about a decade...), one performance went over 10 minutes just because of how many people we had doing solos. Being on drums, you have to start getting creative during these long solos so you don't get bored or tired. Still to this day, it's an amazing song. Enjoy!



This wraps up my Top 5 list for songs I love to sing karaoke to. Hope you've enjoyed it. I'll be along sometime soon with the Top 5 Songs I Love to Sing in Rock Band...trust me, it's a different list than what you might expect.

On a side note, I'm sure you can tell from the number of music-related blogs I've done, music is a huge part of my life. In most cases, it's saved it. I just want to share it with you. While my tastes may differ slightly or greatly from yours, all music is worth appreciating, as long as the content and message is good.

Take care all,
BMW

No comments:

Post a Comment