Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chapter IV: Having To Do It Yourself

Ever have one of those moments where you look at your peers and feel at a complete loss for their shortcomings? I'll get to the details in a moment, but let me lay the groundwork for you. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the only days of the week where I have full days. What I mean by "full days" is that I have classes in both the morning and afternoon. Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays, I have only morning classes. That's how my class schedule worked out for Term III which started mid-April, and goes to mid-June. Today, the class line-up is Intermediate Spreadsheets (learning how to use Microsoft Excel in more detail) and Introduction to Database (learning how to use Microsoft Access) for the mornings, and in the afternoon, I have a Marketing class. Sales & Marketing is what I'm planning on majoring in next year, so you can almost say I live for Tuesday & Thursday afternoons (I have the same line-up for Thursday, too).

Now, to the details of my rant. This morning, we had to hand in assignments that will go towards the tests we're doing today (Database) and Thursday (Spreadsheets). For the past couple of days, the printer set up in this classroom for us to use has been out of paper, and nobody could give a damn to go down two floors to the supply office, sign their name in a little box, and be given a stack of 500 sheets to fill up the classroom printer. The reason it's annoying me so much is becuase I had to do it last time, about a month ago. With everyone standing around complaining, I already explained to the masses how to get paper for the printer. You can imagine how annoyed I was when nobody was going to step up and take responsibility for it.

It probably wouldn't have been so bad if my knee wasn't hurting pretty good. I'm guessing it's from the effects of it being somewhat cold and damp yesterday, and quite warm this morning. It truly makes me wonder if I'm the only one who actually gives a damn in the class whether or not we get stuff passed in the right way, at the right time.

All I can say is I'm glad I have a pair of headphones and can crank some of the tunes playing on the music player I've added to the blog. And as I type this, a smile comes to my face as the late-Johnny Cash's cover of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" begins to play. I kinda regret not having been able to see him perform in concert except for on television. I can only imagine how much fun his live shows must have been. See, the thing about Cash is that I don't see him as a one-genred artist. He's done so much during his lifetime. Country, Rock, Gospel, Folk, Soul, Pop, he pretty much did it all. When I read of his passing a couple of years ago, I shed tears because of how the world would be darkened by one of the brightest lights had phased out. While the fire of his memory lives on through his family, and the massive music catalogue he produced, it's not quite the same.

Alright. I've ranted enough. On my Facebook, I posted some lyrics to one of my favorite songs in hopes someone gets it right. Whoever does, I'll give a shout out to in a future blog.

BMW

No comments:

Post a Comment