Waking up this morning, I had two thoughts. "What happened after UFC 113" and "Wow, there wasn't that much controversy in an episode of Stargate: Universe as initially I was lead to believe there would be."
Let me address UFC 113 first. The second thought will be addressed in the next blog.
I thought the fights that were shown were great. We had clear, decisive winners in all but one of the seven fights shown; We had a title change which is always fun to see, especially considering there are only 5 title holders in the UFC because there are only 5 weight classes; We had serious drama after a number one contender's fight; And we saw the destruction of a fighter similar to his last loss.
I went around the internet, and I found out some interesting things concerning the aftermath of UFC 113.
* Following his loss against Matt Mitrione, Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson is expected to be released from his UFC contract.
* Following his sucker punch post-fight on Josh Koscheck, Paul Daley has not only been KICKED OUT of the UFC, but Dana White has said he'll never be back. Good. We don't need idiots like that in MMA. Sure, it's okay to play the villain, but to do something so classless? No thanks. While I still don't like Koscheck, I won't give hate on him for that situation. Still, I loved the shot on the Habs.
* Alan Belcher was awarded Submission of the Night; Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (new Light Heavyweight Champion) was awarded Knockout of the Night; and Jeremy Stephens vs. Sam Stout was properly given Fight of the Night honors. All four men received a tasty $65,000 bonus for their efforts.
* Jason MacDonald suffered multiple injuries during his fight. "Broken tibia and fibia and dislocated ankle," MacDonald posted on his Twitter account late Saturday night. "Surgery tomorrow (Sunday) night." Sucks for MacDonald, as he was a VERY late replacement, and was working to get back into the UFC again. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
* I expect more releases to come either today (Sunday) or Monday.
Stay tuned sometime on Monday for "Chapter VIII: Stargate: Universe of Controversy?"